Bat Species Index
Over 1,100 different species of bats have been identified. This is approximately 20% of all of the mammals in the world.
- Bat Species Over 1,100 different species of bats have been identified. This is approximately ¼ of all of the mammals in the world. They aren’t out there trying to get tangled up in the hair of humans either.
- Fruit Bat The Fruit Bat falls into the category of the Megabat and sometimes they are called the Flying Fox in some locations. There are many differences in their size from one location to the next.
- Indiana Bat The Indiana Bat is a medium sized species. It can range in coloring from brown, black, or gray. They are only 1 or 2 inches in length when full grown. The weight is about ¼ of an ounce.
- Vampire Bat The Vampire Bat is a fascinating creature, and one that has been involved with legends for centuries. This particular species of bat features a short muzzle that is cone shaped.
- Egyptian Fruit Bat The Egyptian Fruit Bat is a smaller type of bat with a length of about six inches. However, they have a large wing span of about two feet. They also have a weight of less than half a pound.
- Little Brown Bat The Little Brown Bat is a species that is well known. It is very small with an overall body size that is from 3 inches to 3 ½ inches. They also weigh no more than half an ounce.
- Giant Golden-Crowned Flying-Fox The Giant Golden-Crowned Flying-Fox Bat is a rare species, and one that features very long wings. In fact, they are so long that it is often seen with them wrapped around the body like a cloak.
- Kitti’s Hog-Nosed Bat or Bumblebee Bat The Kitti’s Hog-Nosed Bat has a very unique look to it. The fact that is so tiny also encourages the other name it is frequently called by – Bumblebee Bat.